The primary goal of Congregation Emeth’s Hebrew Studies program is for students to develop a familiarity with core Hebrew language skills, enabling them to become proficent with prayerbook Hebrew. We strive to provide the young student with the tools to be an active member of the Jewish religion and the Hebrew skills to connect with the Jewish world, past and present.
Hebrew is critical to establishing a strong, sustainable Jewish identity for three reasons:
- Hebrew is the primary language of Jewish prayer and, therefore, a way for Jews throughout the world to feel a common bond and sense of community,
- Hebrew is the unifying language of the Jewish people worldwide and the official language of the Jewish homeland of Israel, and
- Hebrew is the language of sacred Jewish texts and artifacts.
Hebrew Studies classes are held once a week during the school year, with students progressing through four years consecutive years of Hebrew study. During this time, students are expected to develop the ability to read, write, and speak Hebrew words, lead a group in basic Jewish prayers, and guide home rituals. Students are also expected to acquire the basic skills necessary for chanting Torah.
Outside of class, students are expected to spend about one hour per week on their Hebrew lessons.
Many of the skills acquired in the Hebrew Studies program are necessary for bar/bat mitzvah. However, the goals and content of Hebrew Studies transcend preparation for bar/bat mitzvah.
Students in Congregation Emeth’s Hebrew Studies program are not expected to be conversant in Hebrew at the end of four years.
2020-21 Education Registration is Now Available
Registration is due September 25, 2020. To submit your registration packet for the 2020-2021 year, please:
- Download the appropriate education packet (follow above links)
- Print and complete the packet
- Scan and Email the Youth Education packet to Barry Freund at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- (or alternatively print and mail to Congregation Emeth / 17835 Monterey Road / MH 95037 / Attn: Barry Freund (Youth Education)
For additional information please review our youth education brochure,YOUTH EDUCATION BROCHURE
or contact Rabbi Faith Joy Dantowitz at email@example.com or our education committee firstname.lastname@example.org. For information about our adult education programming, contact our adult education chair email@example.com.